The Mercedes-AMG GLE 53 luxury SUV offers performance, comfort, and sustainability. It is the first model in the AMG line-up to feature a plug-in hybrid system, which allows it to run on electric power for up to 66 miles (106 km) on a single charge. The plug-in hybrid system also enhances the driving dynamics and efficiency of the vehicle, as it can provide an extra boost of power when needed.
What is a Plug-In Hybrid System?
A plug-in hybrid system is a type of hybrid system that combines an internal combustion engine with an electric motor and a battery pack. Unlike a conventional hybrid system, which can only charge the battery using the engine or regenerative braking, a plug-in hybrid system can also charge the battery using an external power source, such as a wall outlet or a charging station. This means that a plug-in hybrid vehicle can run purely on electric power for a certain distance, depending on the battery capacity and the driving conditions. This reduces the fuel consumption and emissions of the vehicle and the dependency on fossil fuels.
How Does the Mercedes-AMG GLE 53 Plug-In Hybrid System Work?
The Mercedes-AMG GLE 53 has a 3.0-liter inline-six engine with twin turbochargers and an integrated starter-generator (ISG). The ISG acts as a mild hybrid system that can recuperate energy during braking and coasting and provide up to 21 horsepower (16 kW) and 184 lb-ft (250 Nm) of torque to assist the engine. The engine produces 429 horsepower (320 kW) and 384 lb-ft (520 Nm) of torque on its own and can reach a top speed of 155 mph (250 km/h).
The electric motor is located between the engine and the nine-speed automatic transmission and can deliver up to 134 horsepower (100 kW) and 295 lb-ft (400 Nm) of torque. The electric motor is powered by a 31.2 kWh lithium-ion battery pack that is stored under the rear seats. The battery pack can be charged using a standard wall outlet, a public charging station, or a Mercedes-Benz Wallbox. The charging time varies depending on the power source, but it can take as little as 20 minutes to charge from 10% to 80% using a DC fast charger.
The Mercedes-AMG GLE 53 has four driving modes that can be selected using the AMG Dynamic Select switch on the center console. The modes are:
- Electric: This mode allows the vehicle to run purely on electric power as long as there is sufficient battery charge. The driver can choose between three levels of energy recuperation using the steering wheel paddles.
- Comfort: This mode is the default setting, and it optimizes the vehicle for smooth and efficient driving. Depending on the driving situation, the plug-in hybrid system switches between electric and gas power.
- Sport: This mode enhances the performance and responsiveness of the vehicle by using more gas power and less electric power. The plug-in hybrid system also provides more boost from the electric motor when accelerating.
- Sport+: This mode maximizes the performance and agility of the vehicle by using only gas power and disabling the start-stop function. The plug-in hybrid system also provides maximum boost from the electric motor when accelerating.
What are the Benefits of Driving a Mercedes-AMG GLE 53 Plug-In Hybrid?
The Mercedes-AMG GLE 53 plug-in hybrid offers several benefits for drivers who want a balance of power and efficiency. Some of these benefits are:
- Lower Fuel Consumption: The plug-in hybrid system can reduce the vehicle's fuel consumption by using electric power whenever possible. According to Mercedes-Benz, the Mercedes-AMG GLE 53 has a combined fuel consumption of 2.8 liters per 100 km (84 mpg), which is significantly lower than the conventional AMG GLE models.
- Lower Emissions: The plug-in hybrid system can also reduce vehicle emissions by using electric power whenever possible. According to Mercedes-Benz, the Mercedes-AMG GLE 53 has a combined CO2 emission of 64 g/km, which is significantly lower than the conventional AMG GLE models.
- Better Performance: The plug-in hybrid system can also improve the vehicle's performance by providing an extra boost of power when needed. According to Mercedes-Benz, the Mercedes-AMG GLE 53 can accelerate from 0 to 62 mph (100 km/h) in 5.3 seconds, which is faster than the conventional AMG GLE models.
- More Versatility: The plug-in hybrid system can also offer more versatility for drivers who want to choose between different driving modes and power sources. The Mercedes-AMG GLE 53 can run purely on electric power for up to 66 miles (106 km), which is ideal for short trips or city driving. It can also run on gas power or a combination of both, which is ideal for long trips or highway driving.